Monday, March 23, 2009

Thank You for Hearing Me Out

Know that I am considerate of your short attention span, and recognize the fierce competition for a bit of space in your brain. Do you have a song in your head right now? Here. Electric Avenue, by Eddy Grant. You're welcome.

No, I'm not insulting you. One of the great things about the Internet is that it can be fun. Sure, it's every scratch of knowledge and wisdom ever recorded at the touch of a button, but it's also a damn fine place to piss away spare time, inasmuch as there is such a thing anymore. I use it for that. But it means so much more to me. I count myself lucky that in just such a time and place as this, I should find myself alive, and comprehending. I feel a tremendous responsibility to raise consciousness about the unique perils and opportunities of our age. I want to make sure that whatever happens, we remain a species which appreciates beauty and cherishes life.

Even if the machines take over.

Cultural and technological evolution have far outstripped the rate of algorithmic sorting which is responsible for all of the biological diversity we have inherited. We stand at the tipping point of human civilization. Technology tears at culture and "culture" bites back. It's what lies along the bleeding edge of this conflict that will be the focus of One More Asshole.

Starting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment